search this blog

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad

This is me, 10 months old, exploring every inch of planking on this 10’ x 12’ dock. He, 28, waiting for my first splinter, could not imagine the boundary lines of his 79 year life falling in such pleasant places.

You'd be proud, I'm still exploring.

Today is July 20, in
the fifteenth week of Ordinary Time. I miss you.

Henry Wilds Smith, Jr. was born on July 20, 1923 and died on September 29, 2002: "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." Psalm 16:5-6 NIV.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a sweet picture. i know you miss him, daddy.. i thought i had sent you a text on his bday, but i had sent it 6 days early.. oops. you knew what i meant. love you . ali

jonathan smith said...

One of Dad's texts was titled "The Lesser Feasts and Fasts" a liturgical book, the saints were arranged in calendar order. July 20 wasn't taken, and so in his own handwriting, he entered "St. Henry." And so it was that July 20 became the feast of St. Henry.